Department of Civil Engineering
The Department of Civil Engineering was started in the academic year 2009 with a sanctioned intake of 60.The annual Sanctioned intake was increased to 120 in the academic year 2013 -2014.The Department has well equipped laboratory facilities and a team of highly qualified faculty experienced in diversified fields of Civil Engineering.
The Department is specifically aiming to train the students through in plant training and industrial visits to make awareness among the students on the field problems of the construction industry. Students are encouraged to actively participate in co curricular and extra curricular activities. Department Conducts various placement activities such as training on Aptitude Skills, Technical skills and Refresher courses on subjects relevant to meet the industrial demands in addition to the various training programmes organized by the Training & Placement Cell.
The Department currently offers B.E. Degree in Civil Enigneering and M.E Degree in Structural Engineering following the Anna University Curriculum.
To make the Department of Civil Engineering, unique of its kind to promote education and research in the various fields of construction industry.
To impart highly innovative and technical knowledge in the field of Civil Engineering to the urban and rural student folks through “Total Quality Education”.
Program Specific Outcomes (PSOs)
- Graduating students will be able to deal complex problems in the field of Civil Engineering to achieve design solutions with modern technological approach and application software.
- Graduating students will be able to understand the professional Civil Engineering practice and apply contextual knowledge with the appropriate consideration of the society and environment.
Program Educational Outcomes (PEOs)
- Graduates of the programme will be innovative and proficient in technical knowledge in the field of Civil Engineering.
- Graduates of the programme will contribute to the upcoming of the society through total quality education.
- Graduates of the programme will prove as a competent team member and team leader through lifelong learning.
PROGRAM OUTCOMES (POs)
Engineering Graduates will be able to:
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.