Department of Polymer Technology (Permanently Affiliated by Anna University ,Chennai)
VISION AND MISSION OF THE DEPARTMENT
To make the Department of Polymer Technology, unique of its kind in the field of Research and Development activities pertaining to the field of Polymer Technology in this part of world
“To impart highly innovative and technical knowledge in the field of Polymer Technology to the urban and unreachable rural student folks through Total Quality Education”.
PROGRAM EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES (PEOs)
who will be technically proficient in Polymer Technology with a commitment to quality, timeliness and compete with confidence in their career.
who will be professionals with integrity and strong ethical values and will contribute to the professional society.
who will engage in lifelong learning or continuous education opportunities.
who will contribute towards research and professional development and entrepreneurship.
PROGRAMME SPECIFIC OUTCOMES (PSOs)
Polymer industry oriented preparedness: Reveal an ability to identify careers in polymer technology domains like, synthesis of polymers, processing and quality control, which adopt skills required to work in a polymer technology laboratory or a manufacturing facility.
Higher Education Preparedness: Demonstrate an ability to appear for competitive examinations to pursue higher studies.
PROGRAMME OUTCOMES (POs
Select and apply the engineering knowledge, technique and skills in Polymer Science and Technology.
Select and apply knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering, and technology to Polymer Technology and engineering problems that require the application of principles and applied procedures or methodologies.
PO3.Design / Development of solutions
Conduct standard tests and measurements; conduct, analyze, and interpret experiments; and apply experimental results to improve processes.
PO4.Conduct investigations of complex problems
Design systems, components, or processes for broadly defined Polymer Technology problems
PO5.Modern Tool Usage
Select and apply appropriate techniques, resources and modern tools in Polymer Science and Technology
PO6.The Engineer and Society
Understand the need for and engage in self-directed continuing professional development.
PO7.Environment and Sustainability
Understand the impact of Polymer Technology solutions in a societal and global context
Demonstrate an understanding of and a commitment to professional and ethical responsibilities, including a respect for diversity
PO9.Individual and team work
Function effectively as a member or leader on a technical team
Communicate effectively regarding broadly defined Polymer Technology and Engineering activities
PO11.Project Management and Finance
Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of engineering and management principles which apply to Polymer Engineering areas
Exhibit a commitment to quality, timeliness, and continuous improvement
GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY IN POLYMER TECHNOLOGY COURSE
· Polymer has emerged as an active discipline of Modern Science and Technology which has more demand in education and employment market.
· The term, “POLYMER” refers two classes of materials i.e. Plastic and Rubbers.
Why Select Polymer Technology Course in KAMARAJ COLLEGE?
· The Institution has been selected one among the best at the plastic institution in India and awarded with Gold and Silver Trophy - in the category of BEST EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION CONTRIBUTING TO PLASTICS bestowed by PLASTINDIA FOUNDATION, Mumbai (PLASTICON AWARD’2015 & 2012 respectively) for offering excellent graduate and Post graduate courses and Ph.D programmes in Polymer Science and Technology.
HIGHLIGHTS OF DEPARTEMENT
· Only KAMARAJ college which is offering B.Tech POLYMER TECHNOLOGY COURSE in Tamilnadu, out of the 535 Engineering colleges, affiliated to Anna University, Chennai
HISTORY OF THE DEPARTMENT
· 1998 – B.Tech Course started with 40 seats
· 2008 & 2014 – Accredited by NBA-AICTE New Delhi
· 2009 - M.Tech course started with 18 seats
· 2010 & 2014 – Approved as CENTRE FOR RESEARCH by Anna university, Chennai
· 2014 - B.Tech Course Intake raised to 60 seats
A course that assure jobs
· B.Tech POLYMER TECHNOLOGY
· M.Tech POLYMER SCIENCE & ENGINEERING
· Ph.D (RESEARCH CENTRE)
Department efforts have been recognized by external members
· Received “GOLD TROPHY” in the category of “BEST EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTE CONTRIBUTING TO PLASTICS” bestowed by ‘PLASTICON Awards 2015’ held at Ahmedabad, Gujarat on 5.2.2015
· Received “SILVER TROPHY” in the category of “BEST EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTE CONTRIBUTING TO PLASTICS” bestowed by ‘PLASTICON Awards 2012’ held at New Delhi on 1.2.2012
· Received Best Student Chapter Award bestowed by Indian Plastic Institute (IPI), Mumbai on 8.06.2013
· Received the amount Rs. 127 lakhs as RESEARCH GRANT from the various government organization like DST, DRDO,BRNS, IGCAR and TNSCST
· Government projected completed: 6 ongoing: 1 till now
· 60 Research papers has been published in reputed journals within three years
· Approved to COLLABORATIVE RESEARCH programme with Anna university for offering Ph.D programme
· Six of our faculty recognized as RESEARCH SUPERVISORS in Anna University, Chennai
· Providing facility to carry out research in polymer field; RESEARCH SCHOLARS – Completed-4; Pursuing -10
FACULTY RESEARCH FELLOWSHIP
· Four of our faculty have received the YOUNG SCIENTIST FELLOWSHIP in Reputed Research Centers –IIT, Guhawati
Totally 13 Experienced Faculty Members; in which,
· 3 Research Dedicated Doctorates
· 4 Industry Experienced Faculties
· 6 Young and Energetic teaching experienced faculties
Maintaining High standard in Faculty qualification
· 6 Doctorates in Department of Polymer Technology
· 6 faculties are pursuing part time Ph.D
FACULTY STUDENT RATIO
Maintain Faculty Student ratio as per AICTE Norms
· Currently, Faculty Student Ratio is 1:13 (AICTE Norms- 1:15)
Maintaining standard profile of faculty by receiving Research awards
· Leading Scientist of the world – 2007 awarded by University of Cambridge (IBC), England –received by Dr. R. Anbarasan, Prof
· Teacher - Achiever Award - awarded by Virudhunagar Lions Club - received by Dr. C.T.Vijaykumar, Prof
· Dr. R. Baskaran,Prof. was awardedwith Gold Trophy and Dr. S. Gandhi, Asso. Prof was awarded with Silver Trophy under the Best In Research Category by PLASTINDIA FOUNDATION, Mumbai (PLASTICON AWARD’2012).
Maintaining the high faculty retention record
· Four faculty members have more than 10 YEARS EXPERIENCE in parent institution
FACULTY PARTICIPATING SEMINAR/WORKSHOP
Upgrading knowledge in the current trend
· 30 various conference and workshop programme attended by our faculty members within two years
Having more spacious lab with uninterrupted power supply.
· Consist of Polymer Chemistry lab, Polymer Processing Lab and Polymer Testing Lab
INSTRUMENTS & EQUIPMENTS
Polymer processing, Testing instruments & equipments;
Classes emphasize hands-on learning, using the MODERN equipment and instrument.
· Processing of polymers – principles of compounding and processing for the manufacture of plastics and rubber products- injection, blow and compression moulding, extrusion
· Testing of plastics and dry rubber products – mechanical properties – tensile, Flexural, compressive, impact, hardness and abrasion
· Thermal properties – brittleness temperature, heat deflection temperature.
· Electrical properties – dielectric strength, arc resistance, Volume and Surface resistivity
· Optical properties – refractive index
· Material characterization tests – thermoplastics – MFI, apparent (bulk) density, bulk factor, pourability, viscosity, gel time and peak exothermic temperature.
· Analytical tests –water absorption, moisture,Analysis K value for PVC.
· Identification and analysis of plastic and dry rubber materials – chemical and thermal analysis for identification of polymers.
Research and Industry related sophisticated research instruments are available
· Polymer analytical instruments
o Fourier Transform Infrared Spectrophotometer (FTIR)
o Differential Scanning Calorimeter (DSC)
o Thermo Gravimetric Analysis ( TGA)
o UV Spectrophotometer
o Gas Chromotography(GC)
o Brookfield Viscometer
o Vapour Pressure Osmometer (VPO)
· Testing for Polymer product – UTM, Impact, Hardness, etc..
· Testing for Plastic Film – Tear, Free falling Dart Impact, Coefficient of Friction, etc..
Teaching Learning Process – Following the best Practices to enrich the knowledge of students
- Contains ENCYCLOPEDIA of Polymer Technology (20 VOLUME), Modern Text book, Polymer Testing standard book like ASTM, Hand book for Polymer, CD-ROM and Research journals.
INDUSTRY – INSTITUTE INTERACTION
MEMORANDUMS OF UNDERSTANDING (MOU)
The department has tied- up with the industries to establish better relationship with Industries and to effectively utilize the machineries available in the lab for commercial production / job work
· MoU with Wood-K-Plus FN 202854s-Austria on 28.1.2013
· MoU with Bhargave Industries, madurai on 14.02.2011
· MoU with Global polymers Pvt ltd, Virudhunagar on 14.02.2011
· MoU with VIPMA, Virudhunagar on 21.04.2011
· MoU with Monarch Industrial Pvt Ltd, Theni on14.02.2011
· Institute supports nearby industries to solve the processing and quality control oriented issues via consultancy
VALUE ADDITION TO STUDENTS
Supporting the polymer students to undergo industrial training
· 80 of our Students undergone Industrial Training within three years
Arranging Industrial Visit for all the students to upgrade their knowledge
· Blown film industry, Rubber Processing industry etc.,
To get the knowledge in international affairs in the field of Polymer industry,
· Department organize the educational visit for polymer students to attend the INTERNATIONAL EXHIBITION in the name of “PLASTINDIA” held in New Delhi every once in three year
Motivating the students to do Industrial Projects
· 34 Industrial projects has been completed within three years by our students
Assisting to achieve the student summer internship in IIT’s
· 2 of our students have received the summer internship-2015 at IIT, Guhawati
STUDENT FUNDED RESEARCH
Guiding to receive the student funded project
· Four of our students received Rs. 6000 for TNSCST sponsorship for their INNOVATIVE PROJECT
PROFESSIONAL BODY MEMBERSHIP-
IPI (Indian Plastic Institute)
Insisting to become a professional body membership.
· All our polymer students (II, III, & IV Year) have registered as IPI member for 3 years.
· Received “IPI-BEST PERFORMING STUDENTS CHAPTER AWARD 2013” in Mumbai
Allowing to conduct Intra-departmental events for Students
· Events-Paper Presentation, Poster presentation, Model Making, Article Writing-Polymer Awareness
MoU signed with Foreign university for student higher studies
· MoU with MONTAN UNIVERSITY, AUSTRIA
· Five students have completed their higher studies in Montan University, Austria
Supporting to undergo short term training programme
- To enrich knowledge in Rubber field one week short term training programme is arranged at RUBBER RESEARCH INSTITUTE (RRI) KOTTAYAM, Kerala
EMIRATE PROFESSOR VISIT
Inviting Professors from Reputed Foreign Universities
- Dr.Chen, Professor, National Taiwan University (TAIWAN) and Dr.Gopal Jeyaraman, Professor, Michigan technological University (USA) has visited our campus
Arranging the guest lecture
· The INDUSTRY RESOURCE PERSON as guest speaker from reputed industries like JK Fenner, TVS tyres, Alliance tyres, Steer world Bangalore visited
Honoring the Alumni –arranged to interacted with juniors
· Dr. Dinesh Prof -IIT Patna
· Dr.Rajesh Babu – Dy.Manager, APOLLO Tyres, Chennai
· Er. Muthu Vijayan – R & D Manager, Renault Nissan, Chennai
Motivating students to become an Entrepreneur
PROMOTING PLASTIC AS CARRIER
Conducting awareness programme
- School awareness programme is conducted every year since 2010
SCOPE OF EMPLOYMENT
Polymer graduates are immediately employable within the polymer industry
· Maintaining HIGH PLACEMENT RECORD every year
Scope of employment
o Pharmaceutical industries
o Biomedical industries
o Plastic industries
o Petroleum industries
o Cosmetics industries
o Tyre industries
o Rubber industries
o Chemical industries
o Paint/coating industries
Career OPPORTUNITIES for polymer graduates
o Technical executive
o R & D engineer
o Business development executive
o Graduate engineer trainee
o Polymer development engineer
o Polymer design engineer
o Polymer chemist
o Quality control engineer
o Polymer materials engineer
o Sales executive
· Salaries typically start at approximately Rs 2,50,000 per annum and can accelerate at a rapid pace in the years that follow.
1. M/s Apollo Tyres Ltd.,Chennai
ON & OFF CAMPUS COMPANY
2. M/s Ceat Tyres Ltd., Mumbai
3. M/s JK Tyres Ltd., Rajasthan
4. M/s Goodyear Tyres Ltd.,Delhi
5. M/s Continental Tyres Ltd.,Delhi
6. M/s Alliance Tyres Ltd., Tirunelveli
7. M/s JKFenner (India) Ltd.,Madurai
8. M/s TVS Rubbers Ltd., Madurai
9. M/s TVS Srichakra Tyres Ltd., Madurai
10. M/s Motherson Automotive Components Ltd.,Chennai
11. M/s Motherson Elstomers Ltd.,Chennai
12. M/sNetafim Irrigations Ltd., Chennai
13. Thomson Reuters Ltd.,Chennai
14. M/s Hwaseung Rubber Materials Ltd.,Chennai
15. Japan Polymer Lab.,Chennai
16. M/s Bharath Rubbers Ltd., Madurai
17. M/s Veegrip Ltd., Madurai
18. M/s Renault & Nissan Ltd., Chennai
19. M/s kailash Trading Corporation Ltd.,Chennai
20. M/s Husky Injection hot runner systems Ltd.,Chennai
21. M/s Akzonobel Ltd., Bangalore
22. M/s Steerworld Ltd., Bangalore
23. M/s Bhargave Rubber (P) Ltd., Madurai
24. M/s Arun Polyplast,Sivakasi
25. M/s Rathna Polypacks Ltd., Hosur
26. M/s Monarch Industrial Products, Theni
27. M/s HiTech Arai Ltd., Madurai
28. M/s Polyhose Ltd., Chennai
29. M/s K.R. Rubber Industries Ltd., Chennai